Complaints procedure

We aim to offer an efficient and polite service. We think we do this most of the time, but there may be times when you don’t agree. If this happens, we want to hear about it so that we can explain things and put them right.

We will treat complaints about our services seriously and learn from our mistakes.

We promise that we won’t treat you any differently if you make a complaint about us.

We aim to:

  • Make it easier for you to complain
  • Apologise when things have gone wrong
  • Give you information about how to complain
  • Sort out your complaint as quickly as possible
  • Make sure we put things right if we are at fault

Who can complain?

Anyone who wants to be or is a resident in one of our Villages or a relative or an appointed friend of a resident can complain if they are not satisfied with the way we have treated them.

We will co-operate in the same way with anyone appropriately appointed on behalf of complainants as we would with the complainants themselves.

What can I complain about?

You can make a complaint if you think we have:

  • Treated you unfairly or disrespectfully
  • Not done something we should have done
  • Acted badly or in an unacceptable manner
  • Not provided information you have requested under the Landlord & Tenant Acts
  • Not delivered a service within the time we promised
  • Not provided a service that you are entitled to receive under the terms of your lease or Deed of Management.

It is best to make your complaint as soon as possible after the event so that it can be properly investigated.

What types of complaint cannot be dealt with under the complaints procedure?

Under this procedure we do not deal with:

  • Complaints about decisions taken by the Committee of the Residents’ Association of any individual Village
  • Complaints about outside organisations which have their own complaints procedures
  • Complaints about something you knew about more than one year ago and did not report at the time (unless we think that it is reasonable to look into it)
  • Complaints about something you have been to, or will be going to, a court or tribunal about
  • Insurance claims against us

How do I complain?

You can complain in any of the following ways:

  • By filling in a complaint form available from reception at any of the Villages or from the Head Office
  • By sending a letter or fax to the Village Manager of the relevant Village
  • By sending an email to the Village Manager of the relevant Village
  • By phoning a member of staff at the Village you are complaining about and asking for the call to be treated as a formal complaint
  • By visiting the Village Manager (please arrange an appointment first)

Your complaint will then be handled in accordance with the following procedure. 


Our Complaints Procedure

There are three stages involved in the procedure


Contact the relevant staff member or manager to deal with your complaint informally. The person you contact will try to sort things out as quickly as possible, over the phone or face to face. If you have put your complaint in writing you should get a written reply within 10 working days from the date we received your complaint.


If you are not satisfied with our response at step 1, please advise the person that you originally submitted your complaint to, and they will escalate this internally on your behalf. The Manager will arrange for the matter to be fully investigated and, if necessary will set up a “problem solving meeting” with you. The person investigating your complaint will be someone who has not been involved in handling your complaint before. He or she will send you a written reply within 15 working days of the date on which the Village Manager received your complaint.

  • Problem Solving Meeting

The Village Manager can set up a meeting that he or she will attend with you and the supervisor of the service you are complaining about. This meeting will be held within 15 working days of receipt of your complaint. At the meeting, we will try to resolve the complaint with you. After the meeting the Village Manager will write to you within 5 working days to confirm the outcome agreed and explain any action that we have agreed to take.


If after the preceding stages you are still not satisfied with the response that you have received, we will again internally escalate your complaint to the Chief Executive of Retirement Villages within 15 working days of receiving the written response from the Village Manager.

The Chief Executive will arrange for a senior employee of the Company (normally another Village manager, the Estates Manager or the Operations Director), who has not been involved in the previous investigation, to review your case. The Chief Executive will then reply to you, in writing, within 15 working days of receiving your letter, we will provide a final decision in writing within 40 working days of receiving a complaint, unless we have previously agreed a later deadline.

If you are still not satisfied with our final decision as set out in the Chief Executives letter or we fail to provide that decision by the relevant deadline, you may refer this matter to the Housing Ombudsman Service or Property Ombudsman, depending on the nature of the complaint.


  • The Village Manager of your Village whose details are shown on the enclosed Information Sheet.
  • The Chief Executive

Retirement Villages Limited

1st Floor, Brunswick House

Regent Park, 297-299 Kingston Road



KT22 7LU

In the event of your complaint remaining unresolved Retirement Villages Group Ltd is member of both the Housing Ombudsman Service (who deal with Landlord and Tenant complaints) and The Property Ombudsman (who deal with Sales and Property Management complaints). You may wish to raise your complaint with one of the below.

 Housing Ombudsman (Landlord and Tenant Complaints)

The Housing Ombudsman Service can be contacted at:

Housing Ombudsman Service
PO Box 152
L33 7WQ

Telephone: 0300 111 3000

Fax: 020 7831 1942


Online complaint form:


If contacting them you should quote the Retirement Villages Limited reference number: V0099.

Retirement Villages will co-operate fully with the Housing Ombudsman Service during any investigation and comply fully with the resulting decision, which will be binding on us.

The Property Ombudsman (Sales and Property Management Complaints)

The Property Ombudsman, require complaints to be submitted on the appropriate form available on their website –

Forms should be sent to the following address

 The Property Ombudsman

Milford House

43-55 Milford Street




Retirement Villages will co-operate fully with The Property Ombudsman Service during any investigation and comply fully with the resulting decision, which will be binding on us.

Local Government Ombudsman (Care related issues)

All care homes and services are reviewed by the Local Government Ombudsman.

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

Fax: 024 7682 0001

Or write to:

Local Government Ombudsman

PO Box 4771



Please see their website:


  1. Where evidence from a member of staff or resident is required in order to investigate a complaint and that person is on holiday or absent through sickness or for any other reason it may not be possible to adhere to the time limits detailed in this policy, but the objective is to resolve every complaint as soon as is possible
  2. Where a complaint involves a member of staff or management who has been suspended or dismissed, or where regulatory authorities such as the Care Quality Commission or the police have had to be informed it may not be possible to progress or comment upon a complaint for legal or regulatory reasons until the processes that cover employment and regulatory matters have been fully satisfied.